Thursday, November 19, 2009

The New Era of Hip-Hop & your thoughts on it! For Hip-Hop Lovers!?

Alright, I've been into Hip-Hop all my life, growing up arround a 6 year older brother, I grew up with Public Enemy, House of Pain, Dre, Snoop Dog, Mariah, Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Arrested Development, BoyzIIMen, Shanice, TLC, EnVogue, Excape, SWV, %26amp; then there was a chnage once Space Jam came out, I was into Alliah, Brandy, Nas, Fugees, Monica, Total, Usher, Puffy, 2Pac, B.I.G., Mase, Foxy Brown, BlackStreet, McLite, Missy, Nicole, Lauryn Hill %26amp; then I slid in a new stage listening to Mary J Blidge, Silk, Jagged Edge, R Kelly, Nelly, Juvy, Jigga, Mystical, Silk da Shocker, Devon Da Dude lol %26amp; next thing you knew it was 50 Cent, Twista, Lil Wayne, T.I. Trappin, Kanye, Destinys Child, Beyonce, J-Lo, I was doing the Manolo Timbs %26amp; da Video Girl look lol, I loved Hip-Hop I lived it...but now I am lost! Hip-Hop has become so tacky in my opinion. There r few exceptions like Chris Brown, Jeniffer Hudson, Beyonce %26amp; Jay Z that reflect a positive attitude but overal Hip Hop seems tarnished

The New Era of Hip-Hop %26amp; your thoughts on it! For Hip-Hop Lovers!?
***************BEST ANSWER HERE**************


The worst drug known to man - where he can look in the mirror and say, "There I am".





Commercialized, vanity, and the almighty dollar robbed us of that.


I grew up when Hip Hop evolved, too.


Once artists/companies began to generate revenue from this, the changes started to come.


Use for reference, back in the day, it was about content: Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Boogie Down Productions, MC Shan, Cool J - pre "I Need Love" days, Stetsasonic, etc..


This was passed down to artists like Nas, Jay Z, Talib Kweli, Common, etc..


All the other artists now are not in it for the art - but for the money. They'll tell you that, too.





There wasn't much thought put into videos, etc..


NOW, videos are seen as a marketing tool - which increased the demand and value.


I love Hip Hop - just don't forget where it came from.





"The revolution will NOT be televised"


No comments:

Post a Comment